Location: Elgin, Moray
Salary: Competitive + benefits + discretionary bonus
Store Manager – Overview
At Begg Shoes we pride ourselves 155 years of top quality customer service, offering quality and value for money footwear. Store Managers work closely with the Begg family to maintain the excellent reputation of stores, throughout Scotland.
Begg Shoes has embraced the best of technology and ecommerce to remain relevant and successful in modern retail. The business has successfully integrated the e-commerce business into stores, allowing customers enjoy a large and varied stock selection with free delivery, free click and collect alongside the warm welcome and expertise on offer from old fashioned retail.
The Store Manager role is supported by the Directors, Area Manager and the Manager of sister store Begg Shoes at 105 located nearby. As leader of a small team, the store manager will lead from the front with excellent customer service, for customers in store and online, shipping online sales directly from the store. This adds an extra dimension to the traditional retail manager role and directly supports the long term success of the store.
The Elgin store has a longstanding and loyal customer base, with an excellent reputation. A successful candidate will likely have a career experience in retail or hospitality management and have a passion for the high quality product offering of the store. Candidates will demonstrate the desire to continually improve and develop your team and the shop environment for the benefit of customers, colleagues and the longstanding Begg Shoes brand.
Extensive training will be provided by our Area Manager, the Begg family themselves along with assistance from our sister store Manager (Begg Shoes at 105). We would require that the successful candidate achieve the Society of Shoefitters Professional Shoe Fitter status (funded by Begg Shoes). This qualification is considered the gold standard in the footwear industry and is essential in the service proposition we seek to provide for our customers.
The main objectives of the Store Manager role include the following:
- Motivate and train your shop team to achieve the highest standards of product knowledge, customer service and efficient working practices.
- Develop a professional and inspirational leadership style that suits your own personality.
- Lead from the front in making sure customers enjoy excellent shopping experiences with the store and website.
- Show commercial awareness, work to improve KPIs such as sales and cost control.
- Lead professional development for the team including team meetings, training, professional development and bi-annual appraisals.
- Store rota planning for maximum customer facing impact, with consideration of staff holidays and busy periods.
- Ensure that displays and merchandising are impactful with customers in store.
- Champion effective marketing efforts and campaigns, working closely with Marketing team.
- Work with other store managers to overcome challenges as they arise.
- Engage with Directors to drive improvement wherever possible.
The main day-to-day duties of the Store Manager role are:
- Customer service, fitting and selling shoes – A strong desire to help customers, cheerful disposition and positive attitude are requirements for this role. Customer service is critical to the future success of our business.
- Stock control – ensuring accurate handling of new stock arrivals – direct from suppliers and inter branch transfers. This will include pair checking, scanning of stock into our EPOS system and adding to our stockroom. Accuracy of stock demands an individual with an eye for detail and a reasonable degree of computer literacy.
- Effective Merchandising in store is vital; planning, preparation and creation of outstanding displays, form positive lasting customer impressions.
- Cost control – minimise costs and maximise efficiency of the store.
- Training & Development – developing & training your sales team in the store. Incl. informal training on the job, product training, staff meetings and organising external training where possible.
- Day-to-day Staff Management – we firmly believe that a Manager should lead by example but at the same time be capable of delegating regular shop duties to ensure all tasks are carried out effectively.
- Returns & Complaints – thankfully this is not a big part of the role but, where necessary, you should handle all customer returns in a prompt, understanding and professional manner, in line with our returns policy.
- HR Management – staff appraisals, new start inductions, recruitment, performance management, involvement in disciplinary procedures & any other issue included within the employee handbook.
- Rota Management – develop cost effective rotas which match prevailing trading conditions and peak trading hours whilst not compromising shop security. Liaise with Directors on staff pay, wages costs in your store and any changes you feel could improve your shop performance.
- Holiday Management – working closely with the Office to ensure holidays are managed properly and in the best interests of the business.
- HSE Management – working with Management to ensure full compliance with current HSE requirements. As Manager you are responsible for compliance in your own store.
- Key holder duties – opening & closing of store, cashing up, banking, recording hours etc.
- Payroll – working with the Office to finalise monthly payroll matters.
- Website – as the business continues to evolve and the importance of the website increases, Managers need to develop systems and procedures to ensure despatches, returns, click and collect orders, customer complaints and enquiries are dealt with in an efficient and effective manner.
If you feel the job is the right one for you and you want to join us at this exciting time in our development cycle, then please click the “APPLY NOW” button or send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org