Location: Elgin, Moray
Salary: Competitive + benefits + discretionary bonus
At Begg Shoes we pride ourselves on offering top quality customer service as well as great quality and value for money footwear. Begg Shoes is now 153 years old and has set sales new sales records every year for the past six years. The business has successfully integrated the e-commerce business into its stores which means customers get a massive selection of shoes, free delivery, free click & collect and free returns & exchanges into the stores. Technological advancements combined with unique product knowledge and excellent customer service is ensuring our customers keep coming back and more and more new customers.
As Store Manager in our High Street store in Elgin, you will be reporting to the Directors and Area Manager. You will be responsible for a small but well-trained team, where well informed assistance is expected and responding to customer requirements is absolutely vital. The successful candidate will need to have retail or hospitality management background in a quality environment and have a passion for customer service and the product that we sell. This needs to be backed up with strong communication skills, commitment to teamwork and real passion for retail and detail.
Begg Shoes is one of the most efficient and effective footwear retailers in the UK. Excellent organisation skills, sound IT skills are essential to thrive in this role where we are serving our online customers worldwide as well as locals. You’ll demonstrate the desire to continually improve and develop your team and the shop environment for the benefit of customers, staff and of course the business. Leading our small dedicated team from the front is the best way and great interpersonal skills will help achieve this.
Extensive training will be provided by our Area Manager, the Begg family themselves along with assistance from our sister store Manager (Shoes at 105). We would require that the successful candidate achieve the Society of Shoefitters Professional Shoe Fitter status (funded by Begg Shoes). This qualification is considered the gold standard in the footwear industry and is essential in the service proposition we seek to provide for our customers. There are very few Qualified Shoe Fitters in Scotland!
The main objectives of the Store Manager role include the following:
- To motivate and train your shop team to achieve the highest standards of product knowledge, customer service and efficient working practices.
- Make sure your customers can always get what they are looking for and ensure you are always on hand to help. If the right stock is not there, the Directors need to know.
- Plan your store rotas with consideration of staff holidays. Lead your staff by using team meetings, on the job training, development and bi-annual staff appraisals.
- Focus on meeting targets and achieving the best results through efficient cash control, turnover and productivity planning and prioritising trading compliance standards (this includes HSE & HR management)
- Ensure that displays and merchandising are effective, efficiently done and look outstanding
- Develop an inspirational leadership style that suits your own personality. Managers must lead and this means you need to make the correct decisions for the business.
- Maintain a stable atmosphere in which to develop your team and allow them to achieve their career goals while ensuring they work well together
- Always be proactive, have a hands-on approach to running your store to the highest standards, taking responsibility for your results.
- Strongly motivated and have a keen eye for meeting budgets, thinking about the costs, risks and also opportunities for your store and the wider business.
- A highly professional work ethic, awareness of company policies and procedures and the determination to always plan and achieve to the best of your ability.
The main day-to-day duties of the Store Manager role are:
- Customer service, fitting and selling shoes – A strong desire to help customers, cheerful disposition and positive attitude are requirements for this role. Customer service is critical to the future success of our business.
- Stock control – ensuring accurate handling of new stock arrivals – direct from suppliers and inter branch transfers. This will include pair checking, scanning of stock into our EPOS system and adding to our stockroom. Accuracy of stock demands an individual with an eye for detail and a reasonable degree of computer literacy.
- Effective Merchandising in store is vital; planning, preparation and creation of outstanding displays, form positive lasting customer impressions.
- Cost control – minimise costs and maximise efficiency of the store.
- Training & Development – developing & training your sales team in the store. Incl. informal training on the job, product training, staff meetings and organising external training where possible.
- Day-to-day Staff Management – we firmly believe that a Manager should lead by example but at the same time be capable of delegating regular shop duties to ensure all tasks are carried out effectively.
- Returns & Complaints – thankfully this is not a big part of the role but, where necessary, you should handle all customer returns in a prompt, understanding and professional manner, in line with our returns policy.
- HR Management – staff appraisals, new start inductions, recruitment, performance management, involvement in disciplinary procedures & any other issue included within the employee handbook.
- Rota Management – develop cost effective rotas which match prevailing trading conditions and peak trading hours whilst not compromising shop security. Liaise with Directors on staff pay, wages costs in your store and any changes you feel could improve your shop performance.
- Holiday Management – working closely with the Office to ensure holidays are managed properly and in the best interests of the business.
- HSE Management – working with Management to ensure full compliance with current HSE requirements. As Manager you are responsible for compliance in your own store.
- Key holder duties – opening & closing of store, cashing up, banking, recording hours etc.
- Payroll – working with the Office to finalise monthly payroll matters.
- Website – as the business continues to evolve and the importance of the website increases, Managers need to develop systems and procedures to ensure despatches, returns, click and collect orders, customer complaints and enquiries are dealt with in an efficient and effective manner.
If you feel the job is the right one for you and you want to join us at this exciting time in our development cycle, then please click the “APPLY NOW” button or send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com