Best Shoes for Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a great excuse to get yourself a new pair of shoes whether it’s a new pair of pumps or soft and comfortable boots to see you through the winter. As your body shape changes your feet could too, with many expectant mums struggling with swollen feet. During pregnancy, you may find your feet may grow, flatten or even need a larger size for width. If you’re one of the few who’s feet don’t change or swell during pregnancy at the very least you will want new shoes to improve comfort, stability and support as your weight increases during your pregnancy and your centre of balance shifts.
What are the best shoes to wear while pregnant
When shopping for shoes for your pregnancy the Society of Shoe Fitters recommend looking for footwear with the following features:
- Adjustable fastenings (as your feet may increase or decrease in size throughout the day)
- Natural Materials as this will allow your feet to breathe when your body temperature fluctuates (thanks to the pregnancy hormones)
- Shoes that have soft and comfortable insoles
- A supportive arch support
- Footwear that offers a firm, solid and stable heel, preferably flat or low heels
Taking all these features into consideration will help protect your feet during pregnancy from injury as much as possible. To summarise, pregnancy shoes should be functional & comfortable but that doesn’t mean they have to be ugly. We have scoured through this seasons collection and our research has found the best selection of maternity shoes for your comfort. Keep reading to find out what my favourite is…
best shoes for swollen feet & pregnancy
1. Fly London tram – Great for a Statement or Fashion
Nothing says statement or fashion like a pair of Fly London Shoes and they always have so many choices to choose from, many perfect for an expectant mum. What makes this brand a good option is that their shoes are made with leather which offers you breathability. So when the hormones decide in the middle of your day it’s time to make you sweat at least in these your feet can breathe. We love the Tram Fly London Sandals as a good maternity footwear choice for 3 reasons:
- This style will be easy to slip on and off.
- The buckles on the back strap and top strap mean you’ll be able to adjust the fitting of these sandals should your feet swell throughout the day or if suffer from swollen feet as your pregnancy progresses.
- As mentioned already, the leather upper offers breathability and a soft texture against your skin.
We’re sure you’ll agree, what’s not to love about these funky sandals and they come in brown as well.
2. IMAC Alfalace 01 – Best Trainers for Pregnancy
If you’re like me and have a fairly casual wardrobe then these trainers from IMAC are made in Italy and a must-have for every expecting mum. At only £75 they are excellent value for money considering they’re a full leather shoe. We love the soft pale blue of these which is will keep you “keep you cool” during the warmer months. Made with top quality soft nubuck leather these breathable trainers will mould to the shape of your feet. While the PU sole is lightweight and flexible making each step super comfortable meaning less strain on your feet and legs. Plus, these are also available in silver should you prefer a sparkle to your style.
3. Gabor splash – Best Pumps for Pregnancy
These luxurious leather pumps are right on trend with an animal print upper. The elasticated top line trim of the ladies pumps ensures a comfy fit and helps the shoe to fit snugly for increased security. The padded leather footbed provides ultimate comfort underfoot while helping to absorb any excess moisture to keep your feet cool and comfy during your pregnancy. Thanks to the rubber sole these shoes promote traction with every step making them perfect footwear for pregnancy.
4. Legero TANARO 4 Hi GORE-TEX – Best Boots for Everyday Wear
Now, these are boots that are fighting for the top spot in our favourites for pregnancy. The fact that they come in a neutral grey or navy and have a casual look means they’re ideal for everyday wear. Whether it’s a day in the office, doing errands or meeting friends for lunch these Legero Ankle Boots are very versatile. But what makes them the perfect choice of maternity shoes is this:
- The upper is made from a soft suede leather and constructed with a GORE-TEX membrane. This means should you be caught in a rain shower or step in a puddle your feet will stay warm & dry while still being able to breathe. We all know how sweaty one’s feet can suddenly get during pregnancy.
- The next reason why these grey trainer boots make the top of our list is their fastening methods. The side zip means you can easily get them on and off, but to add to that they have laces up the front meaning you can loosen the fit should your feet swell throughout the day.
- The soft lining, padded footbed and flat heel ensure comfort and flexibility.
5. Ara Court Boot – Best Boots for a Wider Fit
With pregnancy most mums-to-be to will experience some level of swelling in their feet with some needing to go up a size or two in their shoes. However, sometimes a pair of wide fit shoes will do the trick and our next choice ticks that box quite well. Be bold in this pair of Red Ara Boots made with a soft nubuck leather which will be soft against your skin and gently form around the shape of your foot. The leather will also allow your feet to breathe. The zip on the inside will make it easier to get your feet into these Chelsea boots while the elastic panels on the side will get you a slight stretch for an improved fit. These ankle boots are simple and flat for a sophisticated look, but if bold red is not your choice of colour, not to worry we also have it in navy.
6. Shepherd of Sweden Jessica – Best Slippers for Pregnancy
What makes these slippers the perfect pair to wear during your pregnancy is the materials they’re constructed with as well as the firm EVA sole unit. These Shepherd of Sweden sheepskin slippers in a mule style mean you can easily slip into them at the end of a long day. No need to hassle with straps or trying to get your swollen feet into a boot or shoe style of slippers. Being a natural material the sheepskin & wool lining will keep your feet warm & cosy the whole winter through while still allowing your feet to breathe, perfect for those fluctuating hormones.
7. Birkenstock Mayari – Authors Choice
Of course, I saved the best for last and wish these had been around when I had my babies… These ladies Birkenstock sandals beautifully bring together comfort, function and style all into one versatile sandal. What more could you want for during the warmer months of the year? One of my favourite features of these Mayari sandals has to be the adjustable straps giving extra room. This is a great feature for those swollen feet towards the end of your pregnancy. Plus, the leather footbed is sturdy and supportive. Available in 4 different colours, the pink with a hint of sparkle is by far my favourite.