Begg Shoes & Bags
Social & Environmental Policy
Support For Local Charities
It is our hope that the business can make a meaningful and very positive impact on our community, through any means possible. Direct support for local charities is just one way we try to do good for our community.
The Begg Family have a long history of supporting local causes with our business resources. Presently there are three core chosen charities who are the lead benefactors of charitable donations, including cash fundraising from events, promotions or products from our stores.
These are chosen charities are:
- Marie Curie
Spring 2020 Support For Marie Curie
During Spring 2020 Begg Shoes kicked off an ambitious discount and donation campaign, in support of Marie Curie. The promotion was designed to support Marie Curie with 10% direct donation on all sales made by the online store, using a special discount incentive code provided to Begg Shoes customers.
At a time when charity shops and fundraising events are all forced to close or delay, it is hoped that promotions like this could to help to mobilise greater support and awareness for Marie Curie activities, as well as benefiting Begg Shoes and its customers.
For every penny spent in Begg Shoes online store, Begg Shoes offer a further 10% direct donation to Marie Curie. Please click here to read more about how this works and updates on the fundraising success of this campaign.
In addition to these core charities, the Begg Family and stores aim to help as many local causes as possible, with meaningful support.
Moray School Bank
Since 2018 Begg Shoes in Elgin have worked closely with the local campaign charity Moray School Bank which offers much-needed support to struggling families, providing school uniform and critical supplies for local children to start the year with pride and dignity. Our role is to provide high quality, properly fitted footwear.
The expert team in our childrens shoe store in Elgin, Shoes at 105, offer professional children's shoe fitting and high-quality product to children who may otherwise have worn inappropriately fitting shoes, which can cause permanent damage to vulnerable and developing feet.
Our business allocates a budget for charitable donations which we are proud to have increased every year and along with our customers and charities, we aim to make a lasting and very positive impact in our local communities.
Environmental Sustainability Of Begg Shoes
Our business is committed to becoming as environmentally sustainable as possible, through decisions and actions that we hope will accumulate to have a meaningful long term effect on our community and the environment.
As a small business, there are a number of practical steps that Begg Shoes takes as a means of helping work towards a sustainable future:
- Reducing consumption, waste and pollution
- Reusing what we have
- Recycling everything we can
- Conserving energy, water, and other natural resources
- Compliance with all environmental regulations
- Striving to buy, sell, and use environmentally friendly products
- Educating employees & customers on how we can all make a difference
Specifically, what are we doing to help?
- We choose our suppliers very carefully & do everything we can to ensure that the factories in which our shoes are produced are ethically compliant with international standards.
- Our business is s de-centralised, meaning we do not operate from a central warehouse, thereby generating a large number of additional distribution and delivery miles between our stores. All shoes are bought from suppliers worldwide and delivered direct to our store. This drastically reduces our carbon footprint as transportation between hubs is kept to an absolute minimum and all of our product storage is 'customer-facing' - no road miles to let you see it.
- Our shops are lit by low energy LED fittings which has significantly reduced our energy consumption (by nearly 40%) compared to the average retailer operating with older, but cheaper fittings.
- Investment in systems to facilitate our new “click & collect” service, reducing delivery van miles to reach your door. We believe that shopping in towns, allows customers to pick up many items on one trip, ideally on foot if living locally, and this contributes to an overall reduction in emissions due to transport.
- We believe strongly in donating to charity. As such we frequently donate both shoes and shoe boxes to Blythswood. In the past year we have donated over 1,000 pairs of shoes to Blythswood. They send shoes to Romania and India to help those who all too often do not have the privilege of having any footwear at all. On top of this we collect shoe boxes in-store which are then passed onto Blythswood for their Christmas Shoe Box appeal. This allows thousands of children to get a gift for their Christmas.
How can our customers help?
- Carriage has a cost to the environment. Please consider that everything you purchase online and subsequently return doubles carbons emissions and impacts on global warming. We therefore suggest that, if any of our shops are in your area, you consider returning goods in person where practicable.
- Try to use our click & collect service – if we have your chosen item in your chosen store there will be no need to use a courier – thereby reducing emissions.
- If you have a pair of shoes that are still in good condition (& have a shoe box to match!) but you no longer have a use for them then drop them off to a Blythswood or Begg Shoes shop – we will ensure they reach a good home.